Friday, May 30, 2008

Are Tutus Too Much?


I'm a huge fan of ballerina chic. I absolutely love the look and feel of leggings, ballet flats, off the shoulder tops and leg warmers. Anything a dancer would wear, I've attempted to pull off. But there's one style feat I'd still like to attempt, the Everest of fashion...the tutu. There's something so feminine and delicate about the precious, puffy skirts, but are they reserved for a select few: little girls and Carrie Bradshaw?

Sarah Jessica Parker immortalized the flirty skirt in the opening credits of Sex and the City. The choice of the now famous outfit was actually a topic of controversy on the set, but Sarah Jessica Parker and costume designer Patricia Field were adamant about its use. The $5 tutu from Parker's personal collection encapsulates the fashion risks that were so prevalent during the show's run, and the quirky, little skirt makes a reappearance in the movie.

So can we mere mortals pull off the same look? Thanks to Ouma Clothing, there's a chance. The Phoenix-based designer sells her ballerina-inspired looks on Etsy. The designs are romantic, sweet and just practical enough. I'm currently in love with this party dress and might just get up the nerve to order one, provided I don't get splashed by a bus when wearing it.

9 comments:

  1. I love these dresses! I want the white tutu on the long cotton black tee with the white ribbon! I have no idea if it would be flattering or where I would wear it, but I might actually get out from under my grandma-social-shell to show it off.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Soho, that is so cute! But you can't forget the ballet flat, I'm obsessed and they would perfectly complete your new ensemble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely darling!! Makes me want to say "Oh if only I was 30yrs. younger". Go for it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I vote yes on it!! It's super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SoHo are you loving the tutu or the tulle? I remember a lovely dress covered in tulle...what a great memory. But I think all you NYC girls and you know who you are, should order a tutu dress and pair it with those hot pinks heels in your closets and begin a cross country fashion statement.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ash: Let's do it. We'll throw a tea party and only girls with tutus are invited.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm in. Shall we begin with a west coast party and then head over to Alice's for the east coast version?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hee, I know this is a year old (plus!), but it was on one of your "Link Within" bites -- um, and I still don't think tutus are too much :D If I could just figure out how to wear these to work... And thanks for the blog love :)!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips