Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Soup Days


Hamburger soup is something my grandma always makes on chilly days. When I was a kid, I referred to it as vegetable soup. It wasn't until much later that I realized pounds of beef are mixed in with all those veggies. Anyway, it's a cozy, simple soup, perfect for stirring up on a cold day in January.

Hamburger Soup
Adapted from Food.com

1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 large onion, chopped
1 1/2 lbs. ground beef
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon oregano
6 cups water
2 (8 ounce) cans of tomato sauce
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 cup celery, sliced
2 cups new potatoes, cut into eighths
1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas
1 cup frozen corn

In a large pot over medium heat, add olive oil and chopped onion. Cook for three minutes, stirring frequently. Add ground beef and cook until browned. Drain excess fat. Add salt, pepper and oregano. Stir in 2 cans of tomato sauce, six cups of water and Worcestershire. Cover and simmer for about 15 minutes. Meanwhile, chop celery, carrots and potatoes. Add to soup and stir. Continue cooking soup at a simmer for 45 minutes. Season more if needed. Add peas and corn and cook for 20 minutes. Serve with a big chunk of crusty bread. Serves 4-6.

11 comments:

  1. Cold weather comfort food... This looks and sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds delicious! my recipe for veggies-with-sausage-and-potatoes-and-anything-else-i-find-in-the-fridge soup only uses chicken broth, tomato sauce/paste, and herbs... i'm gonna have to try adding worchestershire sauce to it!! yum!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. mmm looks delicious! I might have to make the meat-less version of this since I'm trying to get over a cold, and maybe add some kale, since you can never go wrong with a little extra kale. Thanks for the awesome recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is this a southern thing....my mother always made this too...still does down in Atlanta. I always loved it, although now I make a vegetarian version.

    ReplyDelete
  5. this sounds delicious and so perfect for the season. thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yessss, this would be so perfect for today!

    ReplyDelete
  7. my grandmother made something similar...total comfort food!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm convinced that grandmothers make thee best soup!! This reminds me of the days when my grandmother would make a big pot of soup leaving no vegetable behind...lol

    http://www.boroughvintage.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfect in January when it is so cold and dark...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh this recipe sounds delish! I will definitely give it a try. Thanks for sharing. xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just made this tonight with leftover potatoes and some link sausage...it was awesome! Glad there are leftovers! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips