Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Homemade Holiday Gift: Vanilla Almonds


Last year, I gave out bottles of homemade vanilla extract for Christmas. This year, I wanted to make something that required less planning but would still impress, and I landed on these vanilla almonds. (It was also a way to put my vanilla extract surplus to good use.)

These sugary candied almonds are quick and easy to make, and the results are sweet, crunchy and addictive. I used the recipe below and multiplied it by three, which filled up 10 13-ounce jars and left me with some to snack on. Package them up in cute containers with gift tags and baker's twine, and you've got a sweet and simple edible gift.

Vanilla Almonds
Recipe adapted slightly from Kelsey Nixon

1 egg white, beaten
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
4 cups whole almonds
3/4 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Preheat the oven to 300 degrees F. Beat the egg white with the vanilla extract until frothy. Add the sugar, salt and cinnamon to mixture and combine. Add the almonds and stir to coat. Place in a single layer on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 300 degrees F for 20 minutes. Remove and cool on wax paper and break into clusters.

4 comments:

  1. What a great gift idea! I would love to receive this!! Adorable packaging too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great gift idea! This year I made strawberry jam, but I'm going to make these next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been trying to find an easy, edible gift for neighbors in my building. This might just be the winner!

    ReplyDelete
  4. these look great wonderful gift idea merry christmas

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Blogging tips